Wednesday, August 31, 2011

1950s SMALL TOWN LIFE/untitled poem



Loving you is the most fun I have had since:
I walked barefoot in the rain;
I staged a sit-down strike on the sidewalk in front
  of the English class;
I sat on my bridge in the twilight, chewing on blades
  of long green grass;
I wore sunglasses in the middle of the night;
I burned in effigy a half-dozen ex-friends;
I learned to blow giant soap bubbles;
I watched the moon set;
I found that 3:00 A.M. is the best time of the day
  for flamenco music and pretzels;
I wrote my name in giant letters on a hidden wall with chalk.

Come with me.
We'll go walking in the rain,
Staging sit-down strikes,
And sitting on our bridge at twilight.
We'll wear  our sunglasses in the middle of the night,
As we blow giant bubbles
And burn ex-friends in effigy.
Watching the moon set,
We will listen to flamenco music and eat pretzels,
Then write our names together on some hidden wall.


Susan J. Skinner


copyright 2011/all rights reserved

No comments: