Tuesday, July 26, 2011

1950s SMALL TOWN LIFE/ UNTITLED POEM






NOTE:    In case you missed the earlier note, these poems were written by my sister, Susan Skinner, when she was 15-17 years old between 1962-1964.  Many of them don't have titles.  A few have the date.  This one didn't.  She was an avid reader and was influenced by a number of notable poets as you can likely tell.  For years, we wanted a way to let people read her poems, and now through the wonders of technology, we have a means without beating on the doors of publishing companies.  I have reserved the rights because we may later put these into a book form, but feel free to share them if you like them or were a friend.



                                                             Untitled Poem


Something lasting
Or valuable
Or worth time,
The highest price that can be paid,
Or nothing
(Nothing is that and no more.
There is no definition for nothing.)

I think
Or I say that I do.
Is there a difference?
Therefore, I am,
Descartes, of course,
Spelled correctly.

Something remembered.
Years ago, light years ago.
Time has no measure.
Fool, you are too young
To know anything
And too old to know nothing
What is there, in-between?

Susan J. Skinner

copyright 2011/all rights reserved

  

1 comment:

Phillip said...

This is so very Susan!

I got here from Jane Johnson Ray's Facebook and am so glad I did! Thanks for posting these poems.

I miss her, Phillip Mitchell